We're often asked for information about coal and solid fuel products, so we've added the following section to help explain the benefits and shortcomings of each fuel. We've also provided some tips and guides to help you get the best from your fuel, and your appliance. Furthermore, information has been provided on other industry associations who can advise you on the best practices and services that you may need as a solid fuel burner.
If you just need help selecting the right fuel, try our Fuel Chooser, where you can search via heat output, smoke emissions, or by the type of appliance, to find the best performing fuel for you.
- About solid fuel - The basics behind coal and smokeless fuels.
- What are coal and Manufactured fuels? – An overview of where coal comes from, and different types available.
- Essential facts about Coal - All you need to know about coal and smokeless fuel.
- Smokeless Fuels Explained – The benefits of smokeless coal over ordinary coal.
- Cut your heating costs - Ways you can reduce the cost of heating your home.
- Typical properties of CPL fuels - Figures on aspects such as ash content and calorific value.
- Looking after your fire and chimney – Tips to help keep your fire running smoothly.
- Getting the best from your fuel - Lighting, de-ashing and refuelling your fire, roomheaters or multifuel stove.
- What are the ACMS and HETAS – Essential governing bodies in the solid fuel industries, and how they can help you.
- Learn more about logs - The guide to Kiln Dried Logs and burning wood.
- Smokeless Zones Explained - What does it mean to be in a smokeless fuel zone?